Historical Society of Litchfield, Maine

 

 

About Us

Historic Preservation Commission

Early History

History Of Litchfield

Litchfield Historical Trivia

Chronology

Sodalite

Shorey History Center

Churches

Cemeteries

Early Schools

Villages

Historic Homes

Agriculture

Mills & Industry

Stores & Taverns

Fire Department

Recreation

Travel & Transportation

Early Settlers

Early Veterans

Early Town Records

Interesting Photos & Stories

Old Maps & Documents

Submit a Litchfield Pedigree

The Kennebec Historical Society

Contact Us

Last Update: 15 September 2013

Old Town House Museum

Town House - Facilities Grant Program at work

The Old Town House Museum

The town's first Town House was built on the Hallowell Road at a cost of $400 and served as the town meeting site and office until 1973, when the new Town Office was constructed on the present site.  Prior to 1841, town meetings were held in Daniel Nickerson's house from 1795 - 1813, then in the North Litchfield Baptist Meeting House from 1813 - 1840, and in 1841, the Free Baptist Meeting House. From 1842 to 1973, town meetings were held in this building.  The Historical Society of Litchfield presently uses the building as a museum.

source: Litchfield Yesterdays

Your tax deductible donation towards the maintenance of the Town House is greatly appreciated !

Come back and visit with us often as we are always adding new "old" stuff !